INSIDE THE CURRENT ISSUE

February 2007

Newswire

Bob Majors 1943-2007

A tribute to Robert "Bob" Majors
Healthcare Purchasing News salutes an industry leader gone silent

by Rick Dana Barlow

When you look up the name Robert "Bob" Majors in the annals of healthcare supply chain management history, you’ll likely find accolades to a creative, free thinking intelligent leader who not only cared about his profession and devoted to its success and corporate elevation in his talk but also in his walk through life.

Unfortunately, Majors’ entry into the profession’s history became indelible last month.

While in his office Majors, 63, suffered a stroke on January 3, and swelling on the right side of his brain – the creative side he used so much – culminated in his death three days later at Bloomington (IN) Hospital.

More than 1,100 people attended his memorial service on Monday, January 8.

Majors, MBA, CMRP, FAHRMM, had been director of materials management at the 300-bed Bloomington Hospital since 1999. Previously, he spent 22 years as director of materials management at Wishard Memorial Hospital, which is part of the Indiana University School of Medicine.

Although he spent nearly three decades in his materials management career at two different hospitals, his 10 years of sales experience also helped him develop a keen understanding of the buyer-seller relationship and how it fits in supply chain management.

Majors was very active in the advisory councils of University HealthSystem Consortium, VHA and Novation, as well as in the Association for Healthcare Resource and Materials Management and in the Indiana Hospital Purchasing & Materials Management Association, where he held leadership roles – most notably the office of president.

Majors was an early and avid supporter of electronic commerce, whether it was Internet-based, or involved electronic data interchange, bar coding or radiofrequency identification (RFID), and an expert in healthcare systems automation. He also was a staunch advocate of group purchasing and its inherent value to supply chain management, even when it wasn’t fashionable, during the variety of federal investigations into the industry’s alleged anticompetitive practices. He faithfully participated in a number of national committees and task forces, specializing in these areas of his expertise.

Because of his industry knowledge and experience, Majors frequently was consulted during the development of new healthcare products and technologies, new processes and ways to ensure successful relationships between buyers and sellers.

"He was a creative leader that had such a dramatic effect on so many people, but if you sat him down and told him that he would give you this look and ask you, "are you sh@+#ing me?" remembered Michael Bohon, director, OM Solutions. "This profession was a calling to him and not just a 9 to 5 job. He always wanted to raise the image of supply chain management."

In fact, Majors had been working on a presentation for sales reps and managers at the upcoming AHRMM national conference in San Diego in mid-August that was to be a prototype for a potential future educational track.

"When any controversy or personality conflict arose," noted Phil Profeta, corporate director, purchasing, University of Rochester (NY), "Bob had the ability to diffuse the situation – either with an aside word, a joke or something conciliatory."

Randy Hayas, corporate director, supply chain services, Shands Healthcare, Gainesville, FL, agreed. "At the VHA and UHC meetings early on, no one knew what to make of Bob because he was so different," he recalled. "He always had a different perspective on what could be done. He would tell you that ‘I’m just one of you trying to make this work.’ He was just a down-to-earth guy."

Together, and in their "spare" time, Majors, Bohon, Profeta and Hayas had been developing an informal think tank of intelligence geared toward providing advisory and educational resources for healthcare materials managers. Although an ongoing work-in-progress for at least two years, this "Mat Pack" as they jokingly referred to themselves after a journalist’s suggestion (referring to Frank Sinatra’s "Ocean’s 11"-style group of show performers known as the Rat Pack) was approaching a formal debut later this year. Even minus one, the remaining three core participants in the group plan to proceed in Majors’ memory, they said.

During his collegiate years in the early 1960s, Majors played varsity tennis for Indiana University, where he earned his bachelor of science and an MBA, and was a member of the I-Men’s Association, the Indiana University Alumni Association, and Sigma Chi Fraternity, according to the Bloomington (IN) Herald-Times. His hobbies included woodworking, gardening, travel, sports, and poetry.

Majors is survived by his wife Jean, and three sons, Todd Majors and his fiancé Karen Gross, of Newport, KY;, Marc Majors and his wife, Megan, and their children, Taylor and Will, of Lexington, KY, and Tim Majors and his wife, Kristin, and their son, Max, also of Lexington.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Bloomington Hospital Foundation in memory of Bob Majors, P.O. Box 1149, Bloomington, IN 47402.

Healthcare Purchasing News Senior Editor Rick Dana Barlow asked a variety of colleagues and friends to share their thoughts on Majors’ passing. Feel free to send us your thoughts, too, at editor@hpnonline.com.

"The sudden unexpected loss of Bob has put a zing in the wow for the start of the new year. It has been a privilege to get to work with and learn from Bob.
Although he was my boss, I was treated like an equal and we often had discussions on various topics where he was seeking my input and ideas or bouncing thoughts my way. Bob was a mentor and a friend to many. Even someone on the opposite side of the negotiation table from Bob walked away with admiration and respect for him. He worked hard, played hard and enjoyed life. 

"His sense of humor was second to none. He loved to relay stories of how he surprised his family in some way or another, like hiding a kayak under a tarp on their deck for his wife’s Christmas present or showing up unexpectedly after having driven across the country to attend one of his son’s college basketball game. He relished working on old homes his sons owned and loved the challenge of ‘getting it right’ to match the period of the home. His own home displays his talents and skill in woodworking.

"Life-long learning was important to Bob, not only in work, but also in his personal life, and he (and his wife) took non-credit courses in music, nature and others. And then there is the first ‘lesson’ I learned – how to sneak a bottle of beer into a seminar session past the monitors stopping others. I have yet to practice that skill, but that is another story. And the stories could go on, even though I have known him only a few years.  In the days ahead we will pick up the pieces, regroup and move forward always carrying with us what Bob taught us. It is what he would expect us to do."  

– Ruth Holman, R.N., BSBA
Clinical Resource Manager,
Materials Management
Bloomington (IN) Hospital

"I met Bob in the 1990s while I was responsible for the Novation National Materials Management Leadership Committee. I was not sure what to make of Bob as he spoke neither like a Materials professional from a University setting – nor like a Materials professional from a community-based provider. I did know he was smart, funny and knowledgeable and loved to teach. His good humor diffused many an uncomfortable meeting or topic and was always the first to sooth ruffled feathers.

"Our paths crossed time and again and over the last few years, and we would often be presenters at the same conference or workshop. I always made it a point to go to Bob’s session to learn something new – or to learn a new joke. Bob was an encyclopedia with a deep knowledge of our profession and what works or does not. Countless manufacturers and healthcare provider organizations have much to thank Bob for not to mention the rest of us. I intend to follow Bob’s example as much as my skills allow – he was and will continue to be a tough act to follow. As did he – his memory will continue to enrich my life. Thank you, Bob."

– Phil Profeta
Corporate Director, Purchasing
University of Rochester (NY)

"I met Bob when we served together on the Novation Materials Leadership Council in the late 80s. My first impression of him was that of a very basic regular guy. The more I got to know him, the more I realized what an intelligent, dedicated and fun person he was. He affected everyone he was in contact with in a very positive manner.

"When you ask anyone who had met Bob about him, they would all mention his sense of humor. He could find humor in anything and everything and he would laugh at himself as easily as anything else. He had a great smile and an infectious laugh.

"Bob had a voracious appetite for knowledge. His quest for information and his dedicated effort to stay ahead of the curve in his profession were well known. Anyone who thought of the supply chain profession as just a job frustrated him. To Bob, it was a calling.

"In the area of improving educational opportunities for supply chain workers Bob was a champion. He worked constantly with others in an attempt to get organizations to understand the value and benefit of education. He believed in educating all parts of the chain, both suppliers and customers.

"Bob’s creativity was well known by many, including writing and performing songs at meetings. Many were not aware that Bob was an all-star quarterback in high school and led his team to the state championship. I believe he was also an excellent tennis player."

– Michael Bohon, C.P.M., CMRP
Director, Consulting
OM Solutions

"Bob and I first met about 15 years ago through the University Hospital Consortium. I was with University Hospitals of Cleveland, a relatively new participant in the Consortium and Bob was with Wishard Hospital, an affiliate of Indiana University. Since Wishard was not a full member of UHC, we didn’t know what to call Bob, so we just called him a ‘friend’ and that’s what he truly became. For a few years, I was Chairperson of the Consortium Supply Council and Bob was the Vice-Chairperson (even as a ‘friend’ – our way of pushing the envelope). Bob suggested that his role as Vice-Chair would be to open and close every meeting with a ‘clean’ joke and he had a 98 percent fulfillment rate.

"Bob was also instrumental in the beginning as Novation formed from UHC and VHA, and served on the joint VHA/UHC Materials Management Advisory Committee establishing key principles and business practices that are still used by Novation today. From that time, through the Novation formation and through his tenure at Bloomington Hospital, Bob has always been a consistent force in promoting the field and integrity of healthcare materials management. His focus was on ethics and education and he always saw the opportunities in educating healthcare insiders, novices and suppliers how healthcare materials management worked and how it could work better. We’ll miss this ‘friend.’"

– Randy Hayas
Corporate Director, Supply Chain Services
Shands Healthcare
Gainesville, FL

"I have known Bob for more years than either one of us would admit to. Beyond being a very professional and knowledgeable supply chain executive, he was also a very caring, giving person.

"I remember Bob at an annual AHRMM conference, and a young medical buyer walked up to Bob and asked him what he needed to do to become a materials manager in healthcare. Bob said he would sit with him for a moment and try to give him some guidance. Well, I walked by that area about 90 minutes later, and Bob was still sitting with that young buyer covering a host of topics. Bob truly cared about our profession and the people in it.

"I will miss him."  

– Robert A. Simpson, CMRP
President & CEO
LeeSar Regional Service Center & Cooperative Services of Florida
Fort Myers, FL

"Bob was a unique individual in many ways. He combined a positive approach and high level of competency into his day to day affairs and always traeted everyone with respect and kindness not always found in today’s hustle-and-bustle world. He was a friend to many in our industry and found a way to actively and positively contribute to the success of those around him. He will be missed but not forgotten."

– Mark McKenna
Former president and CEO
Novation
Irving, TX

"Bob was very active in AHRMM and in support of education. I appreciated his dedication to the industry, education and the support of the organization. He was well liked and respected. He will be missed."

– Jean Sargent
AHRMM president
Interim Director of Materials Management
University of Kentucky Hospital
Louisville, KY

"I first met Bob in 1998 when he was a member of the Novation Materials Council – an inaugural member as we had just formed this council with the formation of Novation. The initial councils were tough as we were bringing very different viewpoints together and building new business processes. Bob helped us, and the council became productive. Bob was a true thought leader in strategic sourcing. Bob was an innovator. He was an early adopter of Marketplace@Novation, created a guide book for new material managers on how to get the most out of their GPO. He was committed to Novation and to Novation doing the right thing for alliance members. As such he would call us to task if he didn’t believe in the direction we were taking. 

"After serving on the council I would run into Bob at the VHA Leadership Conferences or regional meetings. He was very active in VHA Central. Bob served the VHA Central region as chair of their Materials Council. He gave freely of his time and talent to better the work we did. I think he believed that in doing so he benefited himself and his peers. He most recently was a participant on the IV Systems task force. He was a valuable contributor once again bringing balance and common sense to the process. Bob had a great enthusiasm for life and an ability to look for fun in the work, as well. One of the first instances that I met Bob he composed an Ode to Novation that he got the council to sing at the conclusion of a meeting and again for a group at the Leadership conference. 

"Bob stands out as a leader in the industry because of his knowledge of the healthcare supply chain, his ability to vision a better future state, and his ability to listen and communicate with his peers. He was a committed family man and spoke often of his three sons and wife."

– Joan Roberts R.N., MS
Senior Director, Contract Services, Medical
Novation
Irving, TX 

"Ive known Bob since 1997 when Novation was first formed. My first impression was that he was gruff, opinionated and demanding. The reality was that he had an incredible passion for the business and for the industry and simply wanted us to be the best. As I worked with Bob over the years, I came to know a truly passionate, smart and kind individual who was a real gentleman and professional. His presence will surely be missed, but his impact upon many of us will be lasting."

– Jody Hatcher
Senior Vice President, Marketing
Novation
Irving, TX

"Bob Majors was always a gentleman and committed to moving the healthcare industry forward. Bob was not afraid to try new ideas and was always open to discussing different ways of doing things. He was a long-time supporter of group purchasing activities for his hospitals and one who pushed the envelope with operational systems."

– Richard Perrin
President
AdvanTech Inc.
Annapolis, MD

"I have known Bob for about six years, and he was extremely passionate about healthcare and the supply chain. Even though he had been in his profession for years, he still had a passion for his job as if he were just learning it. He was always looking for ways to improve his organization’s bottom line. He was committed to his job and was always available to provide feedback on new offerings. In fact, he was a very willing to participate in pilot projects or whatever was needed to advance the industry. He wrote several articles and presented at several healthcare conferences. He did all this with an exceptionally great attitude and always had a warm smile when greeting you. He will be missed and remembered."

– Tom Frith
Western Sales Director
Global Healthcare Exchange

"My interaction with Bob was when he was the chair of the materials management council in his VHA region. The direction that he gave the council always had the best intentions at heart. Bob was always easy and enjoyable to be around. He will be missed."

– Corey Smith
Regional Sales Executive
Global Healthcare Exchange

"When we were at Neoforma, we got to know Bob Majors very well. He was the first hospital signed up to use Neoforma supply chain services way back in 2000. He was considered by most who worked with him to be a supply chain engineer and a great friend and partner. He often said he’d go as far as throwing out the fax machine if that would get folks to stop relying on paper. 

"His great sense of humor and full body laugh were contagious, and you felt like you got to know his family very well through his stories. Bob was a proud grandfather and father, and was like a newlywed when he spoke about his wife Jean. He loved wine, his yearly trips with his buddies, and his sleepy community near Bloomington, IN. The halls and podiums of industry meetings will be a little quieter now that Bob is gone, although his presence will be forever felt.  We will miss him immensely."

– Rebecca Oles and Katy Beach,
former Neoforma public relations executives
– Dan Eckert and Bob Zollars,
former Neoforma executive management

"All of us at MedAssets knew and respected Bob Majors. We always enjoyed our numerous conversations on transparency, supply chain philosophy and other dynamics.

Our prayers and thoughts are with his family."

– Rand Ballard
Executive Vice President
MedAssets Inc.
President
MedAssets Supply Chain Systems
Atlanta