INSIDE THE CURRENT ISSUE

January 2016

Standard Practices

Questions can be e-mailed to: editor@hpnonline.com
Called in to Valerie J. Dimond at:(941) 927-9345 ext.202

Making "systems thinking"
standard practice

by Karen Conway, Executive Director, Industry Relations, GHX

As we begin a new year, I would like to take this opportunity to broaden the content that is presented each month in Standard Practices. To date, the monthly column has focused on the adoption of global data standards for product, location and organization identification. We will continue to cover these topics, especially with growing adoption of unique device identifiers (UDIs) and a renewed interest in the value of global location numbers as one of the tools needed to reduce the complexity of contract administration. At the same time, I would like to think about standards and standard practices in the context of the larger healthcare system and efforts to improve the quality and lower the cost of care. I am a strong believer in applying more "systems thinking" in healthcare — in fact, it’s a primary reason I am back in graduate school studying the Science of Healthcare Delivery. As systems thinkers, it’s important to consider how the adoption of standards — for both data and processes — influences other aspects of the larger healthcare system and vice versa. Systems thinking is fundamental to creating a learning healthcare system that captures and shares accurate data and insights across boundaries (e.g., functional, professional, organizational, etc.) to understand what drives better and more cost effective healthcare.

The Institute of Medicine (IOM) developed the concept of a learning healthcare system in 2007 in response to earlier studies, including the 1999 To Err is Human report, which reported that an alarming number of patients were being harmed, rather than helped, by the U.S. healthcare system as a result of preventable medical errors. The To Err is Human report was also the impetus for U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations requiring standards-based auto identification carriers, e.g., barcodes, on the labels of pharmaceuticals and medical devices. The ability to capture data on the drugs and devices used in patient care is an important factor in the effort to establish a body of evidence on their real world performance, which can then be shared as part of a learning healthcare system. A 2012 IOM report, entitled Better Care at Lower Cost, highlighted the fact that there remains very little evidence for many of the care decisions made today. A learning healthcare system is designed to correct that.

While medical errors remain a serious problem, a report recently issued by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality found that there were 2.1 million fewer hospital-acquired conditions (HACs) between 2010 and 2014. That’s a 17 percent decline resulting in nearly $20 billion in savings. Forty percent of the reductions were in adverse drug events, followed by a 28 percent reduction in pressure ulcers and 16 percent for catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTI). Less frequent but often more serious central line associated blood stream infections (CLABSI) dropped more than 70 percent.

Government officials could not point to the exact causal factors for the improvements, but they credit payment reforms that no longer reimburse hospitals for HACs and increased use of electronic health records (EHRs). Personally, I believe the former is probably the primary catalyst, but if we are to create a true learning system, we will need to document the specific steps taken by hospitals to reduce adverse events along with the results. I have high hopes that EHRs will help us achieve this but not until there is more interoperability and better clinical supply documentation. I am only surmising, but could the much larger drop in adverse drug events be related to the longer standing pharmaceutical barcode rule and meaningful use requirements related to capture of data on medications in EHRs? If so, then we should watch to see if increased adoption of UDIs supports improvements in adverse events involving medical devices. That’s where standardization of data makes a difference. Standardization of process is also critically important. Ideally, EHRs will be able to tell us how and when changes in clinical practice contribute to better results.

On a final note, I would be remiss not to mention the work being documented by the Association for Healthcare Resource and Materials Management (AHRMM) through its Cost-Quality-Outcomes (CQO) Movement. On the AHRMM website, you can find a number of leading practices and case studies around the role of supply chain in reducing CAUTIs, pressure ulcers and central-line associated bloodstream infections (CLABSI). In several of these studies, the providers involved increased expenditures on supply bundles, which helped contribute to lower infection rates and in turn a better patient experience and lower costs. If we can document these kinds of detailed studies in sufficient volume, we can begin to compile the evidence needed to support continual learning and, most importantly, changes in process, product and practice that will deliver a better healthcare system. Those are the kinds of topics I look forward to exploring with you in future editions of Standard Practices. If you have ideas for topics, I would like to hear from you.

As the Executive Director, Industry Relations at GHX, Karen Conway works with industry associations, standards bodies, government agencies, analyst firms, academic institutions and the media to identify opportunities for hospitals and suppliers to optimize supply chain operations and improve business and clinical performance. Conway is chair-elect of the board of directors of AHRMM, the supply chain organization for the American Hospital Association. Conway is currently writing a book on the Accountable Healthcare Leader, drawing upon the concepts developed in her 2013 global leadership book, Leading from the Edge, which she co-authored with the former chief talent officer of Cisco. Conway serves on the editorial board of Healthcare Purchasing News.