Community Health Center
Dental Care; Free Clinics
Homeless Support Services
|BY THE NUMBERS||JAN||YTD|
|Product sent ($M)||0.1||0.1|
Kitovu, Makasa, Uganda
In 1955, Archbishop Joseph Kiwanuka, the first African Roman Catholic Bishop in sub-Saharan Africa, invited the Sisters of the Medical Missionaries of Mary from Ireland to found a “first aid post” in the village of Kitovu, Uganda. They did so and soon were providing out-patient services, and later in-patient services, to people from Masaka and several neighboring districts. It grew in mission and size over the years, eventually becoming a hospital with nearly 250 beds. In 2001, these sisters turned administration of the hospital over to the local congregation, The Daughters of Mary Sisters, who have continued the tradition of caring, service-oriented sisterhood ever since.
Today, the Kitovu Health Care Complex encompasses a hospital, HIV/AIDS treatment center, regional blood bank, neonatal care unit, nutritional rehabilitation unit and school for laboratory assistants, among other programs. It is especially known for its obstetric fistula treatment facility, one of only about six in all of Uganda. The facility is specially designed to repair obstetric fistulas, a childbirth injury caused by obstructed labor that leaves the mother permanently incontinent. Because of the odor and unsanitary conditions of their incontinence, women with obstetric fistulas are often abandoned by their husbands and shunned by society. Kitovu’s specialized care gives these women back their life and their dignity.
Globus Relief is proud to supply instruments to support this important work, sister to sister and stranger to stranger. We believe that as we care for each other throughout the world, we all grow in dignity.