HCA Healthcare announced that it has acquired the majority ownership of the parent company of Galen College of Nursing. HCA Healthcare has approximately 94,000 registered nurses holding positions from bedside caregivers to leadership roles in a variety of healthcare settings and at every level throughout the organization. The partnership will strive to develop innovative and evidence-based curriculum to prepare nurses for today’s workforce and best meet the needs of patients.
“Every day, our nurses are on the front lines of caring for our patients, which embodies our mission at HCA Healthcare,” said HCA Healthcare’s chief executive officer, Sam Hazen. “Galen’s commitment to expand access to quality nursing education perfectly aligns with our focus on giving our nurses – at the bedside and in leadership – great programs and career advancement opportunities that will enable them to deliver better care.”
Galen will remain Galen College of Nursing, led by chief executive officer, Mark Vogt, and will continue its focus on growth strategies for locations and programs. HCA Healthcare and Galen will work together to provide access to nursing programs across five campus locations and online programs for colleagues as well as the larger community, which will help in addressing the nation’s nursing workforce needs.
“This Academic Practice Partnership will allow two of the top nursing organizations in the country to connect the latest in evidence-based practice to the delivery of nursing education on a significant scale,” said Galen’s chief executive officer, Mark Vogt. “The union is an incredible opportunity to make a profound impact on nursing education and the quality of nursing care in our nation.”
The purchase of Galen is the latest example of HCA Healthcare’s continued focus on supporting its nurses across the country. HCA Healthcare has made it a priority to invest in technologies, capital improvements and infrastructure that support nurses professionally and personally. These initiatives include:
· Expanded benefits: $300 million investment in additional benefits available to nurses, including tuition reimbursement for most full- and part-time colleagues, student loan debt assistance, expanded certification offerings and a scholarship program for children of HCA Healthcare colleagues.
· Centers for Clinical Advancement: seven state-of-the-art training locations across the country that enable nurses and nursing students to hone their craft using high-fidelity, lifelike simulation equipment to replicate real-life situations.
· HCA Inspire: a unique mobile app that empowers nurses to chart their professional growth and career paths in clinical or leadership disciplines and connect with mentors who can inspire and challenge them.
· HCA Healthcare Nurse Care: a nursing-focused support program designed to offer real-time assistance with common workplace issues such as work-life balance, time management, effectively managing stress and self-care.
· Advanced nursing technologies: a system that reduces documentation burden to mobile-enabled nurse leader tools enabling personal connection with nurses throughout care facilities.