Premier responded to a request for feedback from House E&C Committee member Mariannette Miller-Meeks, M.D. (R-IA) on how to best improve, reform and authorize the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
In their comments, Premier reflects on the lessons learned during COVID-19 and Mpox response efforts and provides recommendations to address the most critical public health challenges that demand increased attention. Specifically, Premier recommends revisions to the CDC and other federal agencies to respond to public health challenges by:
- Leveraging technology to conduct syndromic surveillance to predict community outbreaks, prevent and control infections and automate tracking and reporting the spread of disease;
- Coordinating among the various government agencies leading public health emergency response efforts;
- Collaborating between the public and private sectors;
- Broadening and better organizing lab networks; and
- Continuing to leverage private sector healthcare data to conduct robust research on the short-term and long-term impacts of infectious diseases on public health.