Courtesy of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), here are some statistics concerning what is going on most frequently within our operating rooms today:
· More than one-quarter of inpatient stays in the United States involve at least one operating room (OR) procedure. On average, these stays are more than twice as costly as stays without OR procedures.
· In 2018, 9.6 million inpatient stays involved OR procedures, with a total of 14.4 million OR procedures. Stays involving OR procedures totaled $210.3 billion in aggregate costs.
· Cesarean sections constituted 8.1 percent of all OR procedures, with a rate of 2,001.3 per 100,000 females aged 18-44 years.
· Spine fusion was the most costly principal OR procedure in 2018, with stays for this procedure totaling $14.1 billion in aggregate costs.
· Ranked by mean cost per stay, heart, lung, and liver transplants were among the five most expensive principal OR procedures in 2018.